Tuesday, April 22, 2008

On climbing trees

I've been using a metaphor lately that goes something like this.  When we are children, we are more than willing to scramble up the tallest trees without thought of our own safety or whether or not the tree will hold us.  We just want to climb.  As we get older, we become aware that climbing trees can result, in a small number of cases, in broken bones, concussions, and at the very least torn clothing.  We stop being able to climb trees at all.


I'm afraid I may not be able to climb this particular tree I've put in front of myself.  I leave for my 5 months of traveling in 2 days.  I've farewelled friends, tied up financial loose ends, and with difficulty said goodbye to a new love.  And now I'm terrified of the injuries I might receive on the climb.  It would be so much easier and safer to stay here on the oh-so-familiar ground.

No comments: