Thursday, February 18, 2010

Finnegan begin again

I've decided to revive this here blog, as I'm a bit pissed off at myself for having mostly stopped writing since moving to London. Maybe it was something about the place that discouraged me or rather encouraged me towards other creative forms, but I'm back in Aus now and words are starting to rattle about in me again. I also want to better document those other creative forms; namely knitting, vintage dressmaking, and now small-scale veg gardening. So here I go. I'm also giving it a new colour scheme after 6 years of stark black.


But first, a small note on three pieces of advice I've been given which are in my head this morning and have become more relevant recently, with regards to marriage and relationships.


First, from my father, given while I was in the midst of some serious teenage angst following my parents' divorce. He told me that the world was not so black and white and that I would be happier if I would recognise and appreciate the many shades of grey that were there. This describes well the tolerance and broader appreciation for all sorts of wonderful weirdness and ways of approaching life that I wouldn't have thought of for myself that I think I've developed over the past two years.


Second, from my grandfather, on Mike and I's wedding day. He said that men and women think differently and have different priorities and that we should keep that in mind in order to have a happy marriage. This one reminds me that we don't have to be on exactly the same wavelength to be happy together. It's the harmony of those different wavelengths that matters.


And finally from a new friend here in Adelaide, who will celebrate her 10th wedding anniversary this year after getting married at 19. She said that in order to survive the growing and changing that happens to everyone in their 20s, she accepted that she and her husband would grow at different rates and that at times they needed to be patient and wait for the other one to catch up. I hadn't really thought of approaching growth this way and I quite like the image of it. She also was married in the morning on April 1st, leaving friends and family wondering if it was going to turn out to be an April Fool's joke. I quite like the sense of humor in that.

No comments: