Monday, March 01, 2010

Things I've learned while not sewing

With the long-anticipated arrival of our boxes of stuff from London (including my sewing machine!), we spent most of Saturday unpacking and setting up the now-dubbed Craft Cave. I then spent most of Sunday sewing, Simplicity 3672 to be exact. Having not sewn a stitch since leaving the UK at the beginning of December, I was thrilled to find that I think I've actually improved. I owe this mostly to the amount of reading I've done on techniques etc while waiting for my machine to arrive. After a brief vacant moment when I seemed to have forgotten how to thread my machine, I stormed ahead on an awesome pattern and found that I now:

- Understood the reason for stay stitching and actually didn't ignore it.
- Have a better head for thinking in 3D which made it much easier to adapt a partially-lined dress pattern to fully-lined with minimal fuss. It was very satisfying to turn the who lot right-side out and find I had a perfectly lined dress.
- Am more patient when it comes to properly marking and notching when cutting out. This makes life sooo much easier during construction.

However, I still:
- Need to make a dress form. Its just too damn tricky to adjust a tailored fit without one. M is looking forward to wrapping me in duct tape for this.
- Need to remember to always lengthen the midsection of dresses by 1 - 1 1/2", no matter what. Just holding the pattern up to me and thinking it'd be right does not work. I must accept my long-waisted-ness and learn to love it. Fortunately, I've been able to lengthen the underbust band and all is not lost.

With our Craft Cave now in full operation, I'll be madly sewing again, especially for the next couple days before I finally go back to work. Hopefully with a few new pieces in my wardrobe.

No comments: