Monday, March 08, 2010

Peggy Olson dress, high-waisted skirt, and covered-buttons all over the place

With the impending start of a new job bringing the end of my unemployed free time, I spent last week in a mad flurry of sewing activity. What resulted was, in addition to a few long-needed mendings and hemmings, three new pieces to hang in my closet. I have definitely found that my skills have improved over the last couple months, owing entirely to reading and planning and not actually sewing. Very cool.

All three pieces were from re-printed vintage patterns, though two were pretty significant modifications of.


First up, a muslin of Simplicity 3673 (view A), which turned out well enough to be wearable. I call it my Peggy Olson dress as it is spot-on her style (which I love). I absolutely love the clarity of instruction in Simplicity patterns, especially when compared with the sometimes esoteric ones in the Vogue patterns I've been sewing more recently. I did have to make a few alternations to the basic pattern tho.
  • As suggested in quite a few reviews, I fully lined the dress (in bright orange!), instead of just the bodice. This made the final fit lovely to wear but was a major pain when I had to make a few alterations midway through.
  • I narrowed the skirt at the hem by 1 1/2" on each side to enhance the shape of the pencil skirt.
  • My usual dress fit alteration of cutting a size smaller on top and grading to a larger size through the hips didn't really work for the close-cut wriggle-skirt shape of this dress. I first thought it was because I had decided not to do my usual waist-lengthen adjustment too (didn't think it needed it after measuring) but it turned out to be more around where the hip was sitting as well as needing to adjust for a "sway back", or as I like to think of it, a small waist followed by a slightly protruding butt. Amazing how much you learn about your own figure when adjusting a very tailored dress like this.
  • I also shortened the back at the centre only - basically took two darts out above the underbust band - as it just wanted to gape there.
  • And I omitted the buckle in favour of two covered buttons. I currently have a thing for self-covered buttons.
I was very meticulous in transferring all these adjustments onto
the pattern pieces - not doing this is a very bad habit of mine - which I'd already backed with fusible. I do this with patterns I know I'm going to make again and again.

Things I'm not happy with and will fix in the next version:
  • The gathering under the bust. Ack. I need to take out some bulk here or maybe change the gathers to darts and be done with it.
  • Because of the alterations I made to the length of the bodice back, the zipper ended up really short and high. This means the dress only goes on over my head and with a bit of wriggling. Fun!
  • Use a friggin' dress form! This would have made the fitting soooo much easier and the final result much cleaner. Of course, that means having a dress form, which is an adventure for later today I think....






Next, a little blouse made of a bit of leftover Liberty print jersey that had also arrived in the from-London pile of boxes. It is very loosely based on another vintage re-print, Vogue 1044. This one went fine, aside form it taking longer than I thought it would given I had to cut out pretty creatively as I had very little of this lovely fabric left over form another project. And yes, I added another self-covered button at the neckline, this time with a loop fastening as well.

And finally a heavy jersey skirt made using the same pattern as the Peggy Olson dress. I just made up the skirt pieces, cutting the front panels as a single piece instead of two, fit the hips perfectly this time, and lapped over 4" at the waist to form a facing. It look me less than two hours and I just love how it fits. It also let me
make even more refinements to the shaping of the skirt for my next attempt at this pattern. And I dealt with a bit of a gap at the top of the zipper with... yup, a self-covered button and loop fastening.

1 comment:

soph said...

how beautifully these fit you - and such gorgeous colours too. i may have to have a play with this silhouette (although i'm guessing that your enviable figure has a lot to do with how great these look).

i found you searching for vogue 1044, btw. i like your minimal yardage approach to it!