Monday, January 03, 2005

At last! Pictures!

I have finally been able to find a computer which will play nice with my digital camera and has a fast enough connection to upload images. Forgive me if these are a little large. Decent image editing software is a little hard to come by in cyber cafes in India.


The view from my hotel in Mumbai on my first night in India. Yes, it is a slum, but from what I've seen since, it was a slum in the better part of town.


Me at Amber Fort in Jaipur, Rajistan. These guys were serious about their forts and built them big, impossible to attack, and very very luxurious.


Breakfast at the Karni Mata temple in Deshnoke, near Bikaner in Rajistan. Its a beautiful Hindi temple overrun by tens of thousands of storytellers reincarnated as rats. To see a white rat is considered very lucky... I saw two. Oh, and its a temple, so you have to leave your shoes at the gates. Mmmm... rat poo between your toes.






I still can't get used to the celebrity status my whiteness carries here. Everywhere I go, groups of Indians come up to me brandishing cameras. They don't want me to take a picture of them, they want to have their picture taken with me. I usually ask for one of them in return.


An 8 metre high, 2000 year old stone Buddha in the Adjunta tample complex. It's a series of 34 temples carved out of the cliff face and painted. The weight of the work the monks did in this place is absolutely tangible. So powerful.


Christmas day on a camel in the desert north of Jaisalmer.


Inside the Jaisalmer fort. Around 30,000 people still live inside the fort and it was a great place to get lost for a few hours.


Vegetarian thali. The most wonderful meal to order when you have no idea what anything on the menu is. Its assorted veg curries with chipati and roti (breads) and rice. To be eaten with the right hand, which I'm getting quite good at. Food tastes so much better when eaten with your hands.


Monkey and swamii getting cleaned up in the morning on the ghats at Pushka, Rajistan.






An amazing afternoon after stumbling upon a Brahman temple in the middle of Jaipur. A young and very enthusiastic student Brahman priest and yoga teacher took me in and introduced me to his family, his school, and his spirituality. He chanted the sanskrit he was learning. Such a pure and genuine man.

That's all for now. Must get off to bed before an early start to head to Fatepur Sikri in the morning.

No comments: