Tuesday, January 11, 2005

The India Diaries - Back home

I've been back in Brisbane for 3 full days now and am still marvelling at the blueness of the sky, the lushness of the trees, the calmness of the traffic, and this wonderful thing called 'grass'. I feel so fortunate to be able to call this country and this city home. I want to hold onto this feeling of being grateful for what we have here for as long as I can.

India has certainly given me a greater level of tolerance and patience than I had before I left. I was able to go into the Indooroopilly shopping mall, buy a few t-shirts (the Indian dhobi-wallahs have all but destroyed most of mine) and come out felling serene and un-harried. And during school holidays as well. Before I went away, there is no way I could have gone into the Westfield wasteland without snapping at a store clerk or wanting to shoulder through a pack of giggling teenagers. I didn't realise how short my temper had become until India lengthened it again. And karma works. My new-found patience was rewarded by finding the perfect t-shirt in several colours and a great pair of pants, all very cheap.

It's good to be home in the comfort and oppulence of the west, but I miss India's innocence.

No comments: