Wednesday, December 08, 2004

The India Diaries - Part 5 1/2

Okay, so I managed to make it as far as the Brisbane international airport before finding myself in front of a computer again. Yay Qantas club! And to those of you who doubt that I could pass as a 50 year old Australian woman, hah! I say to you... hah! For that is exactly what I have done. Thanks mom, for letting me use your old membership card : )

So going through customs was frighteningly easy until I heard, "Excuse me ma'am. Could you step this way please?" Hmmm... I thought, do I look like the kind of person who would be carrying a bomb? Apparently so. So this guy showed me a laminated card that explained (in several languages) that I had been randomly selected to be screen by a chemical detection machine (it had a TLA but I have forgotten it already... damn acronyms). To this I responded "Cool!". Said man looked slightly taken aback, and replied that I was the first person to have responded to him with said exclamation. He then proceeded to touch my pockets with a small plastic wand with a bit of sticky-tape on the end of it. The sticky-tape was removed and put in a machine that "Heats up as hot as, well, probably as hot as the sun." according to Sticky-Tape and Wand Technician. A few beeps, and the machine told me I was clear to go. Now, not that Sticky-Tape and Wand Technician wasn't a nice enough guy, but I still reckon sniffer dogs are cuter.

Tasty Qantas club snacks beckon, so my next post will be from Singapore Airport, land of free internet access.

No comments: