Friday, December 31, 2004

Not a tsunami in sight

Just a quick note to let everyone in blog land know that I have been up in the state Rajistan the last week or so, about as far away from the coastline and the areas of India hit by the recent tsunamis as possible. So far away that I haven't been close enough to a computer to make a post.

The news came as a bit of a shock, especially so because we had no idea until I got back to the hotel in the evening and happened to switch on CNN. We had spent the day wandering the forts and city of Jodphur and hadn't seen any groups of people gathered around televisions or any of the other behaviour you would expect to see in a country in the midst of a natural disaster of this scale. A little disturbing actually. Since the earthquake, the topic hasn't come up at all when I've been talking to Indians, only other travellers.

So all in all, all is well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that you are alright.

~ fenrick

Kate said...

Yeah, I'm okay. I have even managed to avoid Delhi belly despite eating just about everything in sight. The food has been fantastic.