Thursday, July 17, 2008

Drivers of Montreal

I arrived in Montreal on Monday, after spending 2 very pleasant nights in Ottawa. Touring the Parliament buildings left me feeling surprisingly patriotic. Actually being on the floors of the House of Representatives and the Senate gave me more of a thrill than I'd expected. Places of power and decision making and such I suppose.

Jolyon has joined me in Montreal now and it's great to have someone to tour, explore and dine with. We've booked an absolutely perfect B&B right near McGill University. It's in a neighbourhood filled with absolutely perfect little row houses, with colourful gardens and external, wrought-iron staircases. The B&B itself is one of these row houses.

Parking on the streets outside is extremely competitive and this morning's amusement was watching half a dozen drivers play cat and mouse with 2 parking officers. Parking isn't allowed on Wednesdays from 9:30 - 10:30 to allow for the street to be sweept. Drivers were actually sitting in their cars, waiting for the parking officers to appear, when they all drove off simultaneously. They then circled back, only to have the officers pop out from a side street where they'd been hiding in wait. Much amusement to watch from our window.

Montreal is terribly French and has a very European feel. A very good warm-up for me and my rusty French before I head to the real France next month.

No comments: