Saturday, July 12, 2008

In which my spirits are lifted

After almost a week of some pretty serious driving to make my way east (a couple 800+km days), some absolutely horrid mosquitos that nearly drove me insane, some serious isolation that led to way too much time inside my own head, and 5 days of rain, rain, rain, things have brightened. I'm in Sault Ste Marie (pronounced soo saint marie), a funny little town that has the US-Canadian border running right through it. Half the town is in Ontario, the other half in Michigan. No guesses as to which half I'm in. I'm at a lovely campsite with free wifi, excellent showers, and adorable French playground equipment. And plans are crystalising for me to spend the last 2 weeks of my trip in the UK and in France. I've been invited to join a week-long horse ride through the Burgundy coast. Bliss!

Next it's off to find some lunch on Lake Superior (hopefully) and then an easy drive to Sudbury. Then the weekend in Ottawa (there's a blues fest on) before finally arriving in Montreal. This past week has by far been the most difficult for me, for a variety of reasons, but I've learned from it as well. I think I'll have eggs for breakfast tomorrow.

No comments: