Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Changed plans and purgatory


My planned trip to Los Angeles to spend a week with my father and defrost a little hit a rather major snag today. Suffice to say, if I had held to my principles and not let shiny-ness and cultural brainwashing tempt me to the other side, I would have saved myself one motherload of anxiety, a wasted day, a 2-zone Translink pass and $75. A long story (to be told over drinks with a few close friends) short, I'm not now, nor will I ever be in the conceivable future, in Los Angeles.

Today's experience has left me with an even greater respect for my own instincts and a stronger desire to follow them more faithfully. But some good has come from the gloom. Now that I'm not going away, I'll be free to go to Sara's bachelorette party this Saturday (that's a Hen's night for my Aussie readers). I can't say more here as I've been sworn to secrecy but I'm really glad I can be there after all.

Aside from that, I'm a little at loose ends till the wedding festivities get underway on the 23rd. I enjoyed being on the island so much last weekend that I'm thinking about packing up Clauss and heading to Hornby Island (a small island off the coast of the main Vancouver Island, pop. 900, former hippie commune). There's some great beaches and hikes there and a meditation centre I can head to for a bit of zen. I need some zen right about now.

Strange to think I'm little over 1 week into my 4 month adventure. It feels like I've been here for an age already.

No comments: