Thursday, May 15, 2008

Of eagles and friendship - Hornby Island


It's Thursday afternoon, day 4 of my retreat on Hornby Island. I came over to get a break from the bustle of Vancouver and Victoria and to spend some time alone, writing, reading and hiking. Hornby is one of the smaller gulf islands, tucked between Vancouver Island and the mainland, with a resident population of about 800. I have a feeling the people maybe slightly outnumbered by bald and golden eagles. There are almost as many of them as common gulls. They still leave me awestruck though.

Despite my best intentions, I've been writing far less than I had hoped. Today is the first sunny, warm day since I've been here and I spent the first few days weathering the rain and wind in my highly capable and comfortable van. I've needed the rest and solitude I think. For the first time in weeks my morning nausea has finally abated and I feel so truly and completely relaxed. The campsite I'm at is basic but has a beautiful view of the harbour. I've been waking to birdsong and not much else.

Ian has came over yesterday morning and it's been wonderful to reconnect properly with him. So incredible really that after a gap of almost 10 years, we've been able to pick up right where we left off. The time we've had together has been full of good conversation, laughter, and comfortable silences. It's also proved that my van can be a comfortable home for two. Good friendships that can weather the ravages of time and distance and still retain their lustre are rare and I am grateful to have rediscovered a few of them in the past week.

No comments: