Monday, May 26, 2008

On weddings and growing up


Weddings are funny things. I've heard people say that crying at a wedding is silly because it's a happy occasion. Of course it is. But there's something bittersweet in it too. Seeing my oldest friend Sara become a married woman yesterday gave me such a mix of emotions I'm not quite sure where to start. Time and distance has meant that Sara and I aren't quite as close as we once were, but when I saw a person who grew up with me and shared so many critical firsts take another momentous first, I felt it some small way like I was being left behind. At the same time, I felt honoured to just be there, sharing the event with her. I felt very much included.

So many contradictions, but at the end of the day, I'd never in all the years of firsts, lasts and other milestones seen Sara look quite as beautiful and quite as happy as she did yesterday. She had been tense and a bit anxious in the morning, but was soon as we stepped her into her dress, she was calm, graceful and full of purpose. She only became more so as the day went on.

I'd first known Sara when we were awkward 12 year olds, pretending and so wanting to be far more grown up than we were. Seeing her transform in that dress and seeing the incredible connection she has with Donal, I think she's got there.

No comments: